[kictanet] Public Servants and blogging

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Thu Mar 20 14:48:58 EAT 2008

Alkags,

I did not follow the link you provided; I just jumped in cos this topic is
too close to my heart. So my apologies if I go on a tangent.

The simple answer to your question is.it would take the Head of Civil
Service to blog. If Boss is blogging, then I as a civil servant wants.No,
must know what he is blogging about. The copy cat syndrome may take care of
the rest. But on a more serious note, the Web 2.0 tools have provided a
platform for collaboration in the enterprise including government leading a
concept which is slowly but steadily gaining ground known as Government 2.0
or as other people prefer, Collaborative Government. This is meant to be the
successor of e-Government and the technologies driving this movement include
blogs, wikis, marsh-ups etc, all the so called social networking tools. For
Gov 2.0 to take off, there must be a paradigm shift in the public service
value chain where these tools can be used for consultation and information
exchange between government and its stakeholders. For instance, instead of
having a zillion workshops to discuss and input into a policy document, why
not create a wiki and get people to contribute? See the challenges?

My take is, Blogs, Wikis etc are about Collaboration at the workplace, at
home etc. And therefore, to get buy in and get people to use these tools, we
have to encourage the spirit of collaboration. Unfortunately, collaboration
is one of the *taboos* in government. Just look around you, the number of
competing projects within government and the lack of harmonized planning on
national projects. According to research by Frost and Sullivan, in a study
conducted in 2006, Government ranked as the least collaborative sectors
while 36% of an organisation's performance is a factor of collaboration. So,
that is the challenge, to instill the spirit of collaboration, then provide
an enabling environment and get the tools known and working for us. But,
lets start small.lets get the Head of Civil Service to blog.any ideas?

Harry

African eDevelopment Resource Centre

3rd Floor, Nelleon Place

Raphta Road, Westlands

PO Box 49475 00100

Nairobi, Kenya

Cel +254 725 650044

Land +254 20 4453445

www.africanedevelopment.org <http://www.africanedevelopment.org/>

My Blogg <http://egov-notes.blogspot.com/>

March 2008 Capacity Building Opportunities

Fiber Optics: 3-6 March

VSAT Field Engineering: 17-19 March

Records Management 17-21 March (Dar es Salaam)

GIS 26-28 March

Book Now, Limited spaces available

  _____