[kictanet] Marketing Kenya as a BPO Destination (withinandwithout the country)

Gilda Odera godera at skyweb.co.ke
Thu Jun 26 10:54:36 EAT 2008

Peres and Wambui,

I would like to echo your views. For Kenya to become a recognised BPO Outsourcing destination, the Kenya government will definitely have to put in place much bigger and effective budgets to realise this objective.
I recall having a long meeting with the Chair of the then SACCOM (now BPeSA) three years ago just to get an understanding of how South Africa was placing itself strategically. I must admit we are a far cry from there in terms of budget allocation for marketing, training and consultancy. At the time, South Africa had allocated 4Billion Rand towards making it a leading outsourcing destination in Africa within a period of 5 years. I Billion Rand went towards marketing South Africa itself, the other 2B Rand went to to developing pools of personnel and project consultancy to learn from those countries who were successful in the Outsourcing Industry.
I am not saying Kenya has such budgets but I am opening our eyes to the sort of competition we are facing. We have much more to offer than South Africa as we all know but who out there knows about this?

The Kenya BPO and Contact Society, the private sector wing of this industry is still young and unfortunately not well equipped financially. We have however, in our own small strides, tried sensitising external markets of our existence. What we are doing now is partnering with other international organisations to help fund some of our capacity building and marketing activities. We appreciate that government alone cannot achieve this. We however continue to impress upon government that in the next budget, given that this one has already passed, there must be provisions for serious marketing of this Industry if it is to be one of the key pillars of 2030 Vision. My personal view is that a good part of the 900million for the business park should have been put to marketing Kenya so that as the fibre optic able comes in, the demand is also created. Private sector can always develop business parks, I am not sure why government wants to get into developing parks. This needs to be left to private sector. Government can give incentives such as land allocations to such developers and there are many out there planning to do this.

The Kenya BPO and Contact Centre Society would want to support its members to have strong, profitable businesses. We are especially keen on seeing how government can support indigenous BPOs. As much as it is important that we have FDI and that foreign BPOs should also set shop in Kenya, for employment creation and knowledge transfer, we want to encourage a situation where the indigenous local companies are given some incentives and supported in various ways, rather than see them close shop when they cannot afford the high cost of bandwidth which is still prevailing.
It is these operators who would invest their money back in Kenya and remain operating in Kenya when foreign owned BPOs find new and more appealing destinations years down the road.
We know there are about 20 such BPOs who have taken the risk in investing their money in establishing their operations and they are the ones who have enabled us to go out there saying Kenya is now an outsourcing destination. What incentives are there and where is the support in terms of driving in work to these companies to keep them flying the flag high?
This can only happen with adequate marketing budgets, taking these operatives out for one to one meetings with outsourcers in North America and Europe so they can come back with signed contracts, assuming the bandwidth subsidy takes effect concurrently so as to service the contracts. If not this, can the ICT Board which falls under the Ministry of Information and Communication, under which this Industry falls, negotiate with other government ministries in the meantime to provide local work to these BPOs to keep them afloat. Government has sufficient work to outsource.
We at the Kenya BPO and Contact Center Society are ready to sit together with Government to make this work.

Gilda Odera
Chair, Kenya BPO and Contact Centre Society