[kictanet] Kenya embarks on exercise to protect Intellectual Property - will this help our jeune entrepreneurs?

Marcel Werner marcelcwerner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 10:04:14 EAT 2008

At Kenya ICT Federatiuon we are working on supporting the Local Software
Industry - there is a new chapter in KIF called Kenya Software Industry
Association (started 19 June 2008). On discussing how KIPI would be able to
support this, we were told that software is not under their mandate. Their
mandate is INDUSTRIAL goods, and INTELLECTUAL goods are protected by the
Copyrights department under the Attorney General's office. In other words,
in legal protection we are distinguishing hardware and software in dealing
with intellectual property.

Regards, Marcel Werner

2008/6/25 Brian Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>:

> The penny has finally dropped. After the country's huge loss of  revenWue
> due to Japanese patenting of Kenya's traditional 'kiondo' and the near loss
> of the traditional 'kikoy' patent to a shrewd Kenyan living in the UK, the
> Kenya Intellectual Property Institute (KIPI) has now embarked on a process
> to take stock of traditional knowledge and artifacts and determine those
> that need protection through patent.
> [Full article at]
>
> http://mashilingi.blogspot.com/2008/06/kenya-embarks-on-exercise-to-protect.html
>
> --