[kictanet] Expensive software systems?

Leonard Mware mleonardo at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 21:03:33 EAT 2008

I agree pk. What Wesley was referring to at KPA is actually SAP (if I am not wrong) and one would say there is no local equal. In the absence of understanding their business case that led to that choice it is hard to blame them. On the other hand, it is true some organizations go for systems that are too expensive and maybe they could do with smaller version.
  As a matter of interest, the Strathmore customized Open Source system seems more expensive than Microsoft Navision!!

pkariuki at gmail.com wrote:
  Wesley, I tend to disagree with you a little.

I believe that that kind of software can be done locally. It's a failure in our educational system. Open Bravo, one of the leading Open Source ERP's is developed by the University of Navarre, in Spain. Software development in universities is one of those projects which do not require finance, they only require organisation. Most students have their own PC's anyway, and are involved in their own projects, why not deviate the same to such projects. In this regard, Strathmore University have successfully modified an AMS (Academic Management System) from the same university and are now reselling the same. It think it can be done, it's that we do not have faith in ourselves. FreeBSD was developed by Buffallo University. Andrew Filing System (AFS) that Google use was developed at Carnegie Mellon University. Students are idle always looking for internships, the Universities should allow them to work on such projects, and the students are more then willing to do so by the way. Now
 JKUAT has roughly 1600 Computer Science and IT students in it's various Campuses. Nairobi has something close to 200 Computer Science Students, surely 1800 minds cannot come up with something? And those are our two leading technology universities?

Secondly, I have always got the feeling that many times, people want to walk before they can crawl, and here is where i agree with your points on level 2 and level 3 software. Let the software companies deploy ERP's for SME's, and develop a track record, instead of going after the big company fast, this makes more sense and will earn them money to firm up their capacity.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Leonard Mware wrote:

> I have two questions:
> 1. Do we have locally done large scale ERPs in the market that compares with SAP, Navision, BAAN, Oracle Financials?
> 2. How well tested are they? For such a large and mission critical system testing skills and the cost of testing is critical on final cost.
>
> Leonard
>

> Shem Ochuodho wrote:
>>
>> Wesley & Washington,
>>
>> Very legitimate points raised.
>>
>> Allow me to share a real life experience. While at KPC, we came across two very interesting scenarios. When developing the Corporate ICT Strategy, we shopped around and gathered that possibly only 2 other 'Class A' parastatals and a handful of large private corporations had developed their ICT strategies. In a number of cases for multi-nationals, their strategies had largely been developed from parent organizations overseas. For the 2 local firms (and 1 large MNC), they had spent about KShs 300m to develop their strategies. In the case of KPC, it was done by locals (Kenyans), and it cost in total just under KShs 15m (10m to 'experts' + overheads + taxes).
>>
>> Yet for those who may be in the know, at the time (2004/05), the KPC ICT Strategy was like an ad-hoc standard (the way the Rwandan ICT Masterplan is to some!). Not only did a number of other strategic parastatals go the same route/or borrow an idea or two from it; at the time, some sections of COMESA and NEPAD were considering it for a 'regional template'. Am not belabouring on this to show how excellent it was, but to give comfort that it was as good - if not better - than those which were developed at 20x its cost - and by locals.
>>
>> At inception, we had a dilemma because we would not have found any local experts with experience in this sector - since KPC was/is perhaps the only refined petroleum pipeline company in the region - so to find 'local experts' who had developed similar strategies was almost out of question. However, Management & Board recognized that there were discrete skills which could be put together to get something close to the desired whole/ideal: there were people who had developed strategies for large corporations (public and/or private), oil companies (the distributors), energy companies (e.g. SCADA is a backbone to all large-scale energy 'transporters', including KPC and KP&LC), etc. So, we went out looking for what at the time were considered to be some of the best within Govt, industry (private sector), academia, and civil society (in this case not the NGO Council, but professional associations), etc. In all, we ended up with a team of 15, some of them subscribers on this
 list. And they did a fantastic job.

>> Scenario 2: just as the team was winding down, the SCADA system broke down. This wasn't the first time for the system to go done; it had done so a few times before. From info available, whenever this had happened before, we had to turn to a major international firm in this sector domiciled in Canada. Firstly, they would take at least two weeks to arrive to work on the problem. Secondly, every time they came the Corporation would pay KShs 10m minimum, minus overheads (air-fare, hotel accommodation, etc). In this instance, when the ICT-Strategy team was asked if they could work on it, 3 among them came forward to do so. Within 4 days, yes 4 days, the system was up and running, and it cost the Corporation only KShs 700k (inclusive of overheads)! Apart from the money and time saving, we had enabled ¡technology transfer/acquisition¢, and if need be, in future, there was local expertise that would be called upon.
>>
>> In a nutshell, I wouldn't be surprised if we spent 20x more on ICT products and services than is really necessary - especially for the ultra-large projects. ICT development and promotion is not only attractive in the wealth, jobs, efficiency and productivity it creates, but also in the expenses/costs it saves. Would be interesting to know how much as a country we spend to 'import technology' versus what we would need to spend on developing skills that would help us avoid importing some (of course not all) those technologies.
>>
>> Best rgrds,
>> Shem

With Regards,
Phares Kaboro Kariuki,

"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve".
George Bernard Shaw