[kictanet] Marketing Kenya as a BPO Destination (within and without the country)

Wambui Wakarema wambuiwakarema at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 18:48:02 EAT 2008

When I look at the efforts that South Africa, Egypt, Mauritius and other emerging BPO destinations are putting to raise awareness about their countries as players in the BPO world, I am left wondering if the ICT Board is really aware of the challenge that they have in raising Kenya's profile?

 It will require a serious assault by Kenya, on the international market, together with a clear strategic plan, if we are to make any headway. Otherwise  Vision 2030 can as well forget about the BPO sector.

The Board could learn a thing or two from these countries. In the first place has the Board conducted a competitor analysis of these countries that Kenya is competing with? This should be the first step.

All of these countries invested heavily not just in marketing, but also by providing incentives to would-be investors in the sector. Is the ICT Board looking at developing incentives for BPO investors? How will Kenya compete favourably with other countries?

What are the plans for the BPO park? It is likely to be an empty shell, at the rate at which operators are shutting down or suspending operations.

Wambui Wakarema