[kictanet] Kenya's new registry system

Brian Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:48:24 EAT 2008

I would like to balance this discussion by pointing out a historical
fact.....

Due to "security" concerns our country was held back from a liberalised
telecoms industry for years.

There were a lot of misplaced fears which originated from blanket
generalisations of new technology and a fear of loss of control by the
powers that be.

When I set up KIXP at the end of 2000, it was shut down within two weeks
because Telkom Kenya insinuated that it presented a national security risk.
It took us one whole year to educate, enlighten and lobby almost every
component of the Executive in order to get KIXP re-opened.

Today it is considered a 'national resource' and KRA even wants to have it
gazetted so that it can receive 24-hour physical security since it plays
such an integral part of Kenya's economy.

I am not saying that we should blind ourselves to the consideration of
security concerns, just that it is very easy to further delays innovation
and development with hyped up discussions about security (or more
appropriately insecurity).

best,

Brian

--