[kictanet] Kenya's new registry system

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:40:52 EAT 2008

Gentlemen,

all your arguments are in place.....unfortunately we do not have a cyber
crime law in place nor a data privacy law...(subject to be corrected)....so
before we go very far.....we need to make Kenyans understand....

1. What is personal/private data?....very few understand that and why it may
need to be protected...

2. what are the implications of the data,that this, system will hold, in the
hands of a third party?...from here...we can ask for a document for public
scrutiny.....what security measures...are in place...etc

Kind Regards,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM, <tyrus at icsit.jkuat.ac.ke> wrote:

> Wesley,
> I totally agree with you on this point.
>
> Its one thing to set up a system where you will have citizens access their
> details and its another entirely different thing to ensure its security is
> not compromised. Even as these guys come up with this revolutionary
> system, am sure they have security in mind and even more importantly have
> taken the necessary steps to ensuring that its not compromised. What I
> always have qualms with as you are well aware of in skunkworks, is the
> reluctance by the developers or system operators to provide room for
> Independent Penetration Testing. Granted this is not a panacea for
> hack-proofing the system but will make the system devoid of common
> vulnerabilities like what we saw in the ipo website.
>
> In America, identity theft has occurred even on their secure servers alike
> but if you look at the frequency, its relatively low since tests are
> carried out on the system very often and when loop holes are discovered
> relevant authorities are informed.
>

> Its a very novel idea the Government is pursuing but even as we speak
> there are notable Govt bodies whose IT infrastructure's security is very
> sketchy. If there was a dedicated body in the ICT Board to dedicatedly
> look into security issues regarding IT growth and implementation, I guess
> there would be standards set even when putting a very basic implementation
> like a web-site.
>
> Regards,
>
> "fyodor"

'Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. '
Martin Luther King, Jr.