[kictanet] Another lost side-mirror

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:55:01 EAT 2008

Walu, I'd like to add a comment.

Below would be a very basic overview of a metro cctv system. As it becomes
clear, the task is not cheap nor simple:

- Webcams and wifi/simple data platforms can only provide very limited
functions as they have serious limitations on picture size, quality and
control.
- As a minimum, IP cameras can be used with high quality lens assemblies.
These provide Wide angle, Pan,Tilt and Zoom features that can be remotely
accessed by the operator. ( Added costs )
- IP cameras or even regular cameras with analogue to digital conversion
streams consume a lot of local loop capacity between them and an operator
room. With the fiber optic growth in major cities, this may no longer a
problem
- All cameras require some sort of low light boosters in areas where there
are low light conditions eg, infrared etc. ( Added costs )
- As the system would be tamper proof, special power backup ( eg solar ) and
protection would be necessary. ( Added Costs )
- The cctv operation centre etc would need an archive system to store all
the data gathered for  analysis etc. ( A huge cost here )
- Training would need to be provided to operation centre staff.

Imagine someone hacking into a wifi camera system and able to monitor the
events? This itself would be a big issue to security.

I guess there would be need for some sort of a security policy and budgets
to push for the technology implementation over a period of a few years.
Hopefully policy makers will see the urgency and push forward plans to
make it more safer for all.

With Rgds.

Aki.