[kictanet] Expensive Software Systems [Update]

James Kagwe jkagwe at KIPPRA.OR.KE
Tue Jul 22 13:28:26 EAT 2008

"Windows Explorer" browser? Who wrote this document???

________________________________

From: kictanet-bounces+jkagwe=kippra.or.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke [mailto:kictanet-bounces+jkagwe=kippra.or.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On Behalf Of wesley kiriinya
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:18 PM
To: James Kagwe
Cc: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions
Subject: [kictanet] Expensive Software Systems [Update]

Following the previous post about the KPA software system which costs > 200M (about 450M including hardware machines), I found the following interesting:

http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8717&Itemid=5847

In summary, the system only uses Internet Explorer (which makes one wonder whether a requirements document was ever created). I can already see your eyes twitching and teeth grinding so I will stop there... And it seems like KRA’s Simba's system is IE only also.

I hope this area of ICT is covered in the policy so that Kenyans (whom I believe are very talented) are empowered to take up such projects.

Regards.

When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
-R. Buckminster Fuller.