[kictanet] Kenya ICT Sector Stakeholder Public Forum (was Re: Legislation and Discipline & Ethics

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 04:21:57 EAT 2008

Aki,

Fortunate or unfortunate policy and politics go hand in hand, if politicians
do not follow through by implementing policy on behalf of the public that
they serve, then policy itself is a non starter. I would be hesistant before
painting with a broad brush posts you allude to as belonging to dreamers,
despite differences in opinion, most on this forum tend to speak from first
hand experiences. Some of the initatives reffered to here are real examples,
did not come up overnight, but have been in the works for a number of years
now and have hit policy stumbling blocks. Sometimes policy reformulation has
to encompass more than just one sector's policy, one may have the best text
book ICT policy taxpayers can fund and then go on to encounter obstacles
with investment and planning policies or with the public's employees who on
their own volition may not report to work to formulate a policy into law:

http://www.centralbank.go.ke/downloads/media_releases/Kenyanabroad.pdf

 # 1, Due to brain drain, there are many Kenyan ICT professionals residing
outside the country, a thriving and competitive local ICT industry is likely
to reverse this with time, new market entrants such as Google, new
infrastructure ie undersea cables are likely to make the ICT industry more
attractive, salaries in ICT outside of Kenya are comparatively and
significantly higher. Rather than export manpower, the industry should be
seeking it as intellectual capital is key to ICT development.

#2, If Mpesa counts, then it is one such technology, however it has been
revealed in some quarters that this is Vodafone's IP. Even if it didn't
count as Kenyan owned, it had its first successful runs within the country
and is now being "exported" elsewhere.

#4 Skunkworks would be a good resource for this question, there are many
talented local developers some of whom have come up with complex inhouse
applications. Given that these are likely to be inhouse or specific to a
project/client the likelihood of any repeatable export is low.

Kenyan Linux? the best stab at this would be at our universities, however
are our universities equipped and funded well enough to carry out major R&D
activity? We have a long way before we can competitively engage in ICT
exports, what would be wrong with offering incentives for investors to set
up a chip manufacturing facility on condition that it is done on the basis
of a JV with support included for part local ownership? Those conditions are
the "protections" that are being advocated atleast from my perspective,
protectionism does not necessarily mean "lock out".