[kictanet] Kenya ICT Sector Stakeholder Public Forum (was Re: Legislation and Discipline & Ethics

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 16 02:36:49 EAT 2008

I'd like to attend the meet but unfortuantely will be away till early
september. Hopefully we should be able to read about the meet.

This foreigner bashing issue is getting boring, un-realistic and some posts
seem to be more about dreamers ( or even politics ) than the actual matter.
>From a technology and ICT policy view :

1) What can kenya export to the region/rest of the world in ICT? If its
man-power, there's a glut of highly skilled and experienced ICT
professionals worldwide. Unless they want to work for less.

2) Has kenya come up with some super ICT product/technology that is
competitive globally?

3) When was the last time kenya exported a simple 4 pin micro-processor (
that was designed in the 1950's )?

4) Has any smart kenyan written and exported a simple ERP system, let alone
an operating system?

The list is end less.

A simple example : South Africa gave africa its open source name i.e Linux
Ubuntu ( Mark Shuttleworth – Founder, Ubuntu ). Where is a kenyan linux ? At
best, most kenyans download and re-configure this Ubuntu.

Until we keep importing ICT technologies, we are stuck with the brains that
come with them. To protect local ICT industry and ICT jobs, where is the
industry itself? What are we protecting?

As a start, can anyone please provide export details of kenya's ICT sector?

Rgds,

Aki.