[kictanet] Discipline & Ethics - Re: Legislation andRegulation fore-Commerce in Ken

Gakuru , Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 13:19:09 EAT 2008

Folks,

I quick post as food for thought.....

We all all know that poverty is the worst form of violence. We
discussed this more than 15 months ago proposing some ICT related
solutions... <http://www.bdix.net/pipermail/ke-internetusers/2007-April/date.html>

Hitting the nail on the head, January's "tribal clashes" were no more
than a violent ventilation of crippling poverty only wrongly directed
at the visible but wrong "enemy" - your neighbour. The real enemy is
poverty and the weapon to fight it is global competitiveness. Starting
by thinking outside confines of Kenyan borders. Full stop.

To dismantle institutionalised poverty (infra)structure requires cool,
calm, and collected cunningness. We cannot now rush to self-isolate
ourselves and risk a second wave of western media coverage xenophobia.

Again occupying every world newspapers front pages and dominating
their TV screens. Tourists again afraid to come and further
diminishing our global competitiveness poverty rising further
defeating desired objective.

It's not about Florence Etta. Have we fully considered how other
foreign development friends (in education, water, sanitation, health,
etc ) may now feel after this? How many they are, what would be the
consequences?

We should avoid rushed venting of misplaced wraths on our visible
friends solely on "foreign", "residency status" etc. We should embrace
new friends and ditch bad local ones to avoid making a bad situation
even worse then look for new tangible enemies to blame.

Let us make the meeting an internationally acceptable
multi-stakeholders forum, that we presented kictanet as during "best
practice MSFs" at last years IGF. I had the presentation somewhere, I
will look for it hopefully post here...