[kictanet] Legislation and Regulation for e-Commerce in Kenya

Josiah Mugambi jmugambi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 20:15:09 EAT 2008

Hi Waudo,

There's the skunkworks email
list<http://ole.kenic.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/skunkworks>which is
mostly made up of technology professionals and enthusiasts. ICTS
regulation/standards has come up more than once for discussion on the list

(Aside: My first post on KICTANET)

Regards
Josiah

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:01 PM, waudo siganga <emailsignet at mailcan.com>
wrote:

> Hi Walu - I am catching you loud and clear on GPRS somewhere in the
> bush. I did bring out the issue of regulating the IT (or ICT) Profession
> on this list a few months ago. But the rather unenthusiastic response I
> got gave me the sense that possibly this was not the correct list since
> many of the subscribers appear just interested in ICT Policy rather than
> being actual IT Experts. Within the next two weeks there will be another
> list for professionals and you will be informed (you have the
> qualifications, don't you??). We are pushing for a registration board
> like thise done last yeaer for  nutritionists and Procurement
> Practitioners. There is a lot of work going on unheralded. All we need
> is a champion or chanpions in the right place.
> Waudo
>

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 02:45:53 -0700 (PDT), "John Walubengo"
> <jwalu at yahoo.com> said:
> > Marcel,
> >
> > It looks like quite some work has been ongoing in this
> > area...unfortunately it seems as if it was restricted within KIF only?  I
> > wonder if Computer Society of Kenya (CSK, Waudo r u there?) or
> > Information Security Audit & Control (ISACA-Kenya Chapter) just to
> > mention some of the big IT Associations in Kenya were involved. I beg to
> > be enlightened.
> >
> > This brings in an old question - who really represents the IT Profession
> > in Kenya?  Shem has been on record as saying that IT is the only
> > discipline where we seem to lack bodies with the same authority as LSK
> > (Law Society of Kenya), IEK (Institute of Engineers of Kenya), Medical
> > Practictioners Board amongst others to regulate the IT Profession.
> >
> > And by the way, KICTAnet does not fit the bill either  (and has a
> > different objective anyway).  But time has come to really start thinking
> > of regulating the IT profession, even as we struggle to regulate the
> > industry...Ideally, CSK should take the lead on this, but they have been
> > awfully quite except when they award prizes at the end of the year (Waudo
> > I know u will kill me offline but I just had to say it!).
> >
> > KEPSA? very reputable and effective particularly in the Manufacturing
> > sector but on IT? am not sure they have been as effective - particularly
> > because the link between KEPSA/KIF and the IT industry has been 'cloudy'
> > for lack of a better word...Can for example CSK or ISACA  be part of
> > KEPSA without being part of KIF? I again need to be enlightened.
> >
> > O.K. I agree I did digress, but just thinking loudly and saying that as
> > we think of regulating electronic transactions, we also need to
> > simultaneously start regulating the IT profession..but maybe I am wrong.
> > Particularly because regulation can and often leads to suppression...
> >
> > walu.

George Burns  - "Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed."