[kictanet] Fwd: Bulk of KenyanWealth Owned by Foreigners

Brian Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 10:42:40 EAT 2008

Hi Sylvester/and other listmembers,

While I appreciate your point of view it is also important for us to ensure
that we maintain an atmosphere within the list that 'breeds' dialogue - and
encourages healthy debate while discouraging personal/personality attacks.

This list is not simply there for people in ICT to blaze whenever and at
whomever they want. It serves a very significant role of providing a
platform that cuts across every layer of our society and allows
debate/dialogue on the very issues that affect our ICT sector.

This debate and dialogue will often end up in some very clear imperatives
which are then taken and turned into actions - actions which affect the
entire nation.

KICTANET has played a very significant and key role in:
- adoption/ratification of VOIP regulations
- introduction of fully liberalised international data gateways
- development of a 'single' ICT policy - and subsequent
ratification/adoption by Cabinet
- several input towards taxations issues surrounding ICTs

All of the above are areas that have benefited from the civility,
seriousness, focus, determination and commitment from the various
stakeholders in KICTANET. It has also acted as a magnet and drawn many, both
locally and from abroad who have an interest in Kenya's ICT sector. I will
also add that some of those interests are not always noble and we have had
cases in the past where individuals who have refused to adhere to the code
and ethics of this list have had to be removed and left to find other places
where they can dispense their vitriol.

It is therefore very critical for us to defend and protect the integrity,
freedom and openness of this list so that it can play it's part in helping
KICTANET fulfil it larger role of *Action* in Kenya's ICT sector.

Let us not lose focus.

Regards,

Brian
Chairperson, KICTANET