[kictanet] Day 4 of 5:- Quantifying the Impact of the Post-election Violence

MediaSpeak Africa mesafric at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:24:17 EAT 2008

True a lot has been lost and will be lost if we continue focusing on the
downside. I do not want to seem to trvialise the current situation but I
believe that we are called to leadership - if wedon't give itat
this extremely crucial moment, who will! Certainly not the politicians that
we so enthusiastically vote for and then spend the next five years
villifying.

In fact, this is the major test for the ICT sector. If we are so passionate
about its potential to develop the country, then surely we are confident of
its strategic position. Therefore, we should be focusing on how we can use
ICTs to jumpstart the country's dented socio-economic development.

I believe that one of the aims of developing the Internet was to get a means
of communication that could withstand a nuclear blastor such other trauma.
It is time for the ICT players in this country to lobby the government for
more support so that we can bring in the much needed forex and create
employment for those being laid off elsewhere.

Otherwise, to me these are the pains of birth of a society. Every society
has undergone this kind of rites of passage from the Americans to the
Eurpeans. So, let's take heart, pick up the scraps, roll up our sleeves and
get down to serious business.

Can I get an Amen! Any one?

Ndegwa

On 31/01/2008, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> Here's part of what I could quickly gather as the possible
> short-term interventions from some of the posts.
>
> 1. Encourage balanced reporting by Media and avoid
> glorifying destructions, killings
> 2. Consider Filtering hate mails, messages, websites
> 3. Corporates going the extra mile (e.g mobile operator
> becoming banks to ensure service provision...)
> 4. Ensuring that basic Operator service is maintained
> particularly in the current environment
> 5.Create portals that provide linkages between the needy
> and their potential donors
>
> Feel free to add more. But today I invite you to attempt to
> quantify the loss this chaos continue to wreck on our
> organisations.  What do you think is the the toll per day
> in terms of lost business opportunity, man-hours,
> equipment, etc? only 1 day on this theme because tomorrow
> we finish of this discussion.
>
> walu.
>

> •       Quantify the Impact of Post-election violence on ICT
> organisations (1day)
> -What is the toll per day in terms of lost business
> opportunity, man-hours, equipment, etc l
>
> Ensure balanced reporting by Media
> Filtering hate mails, messages, websites
> Corporates going the extra mile becoming banks
> Ensuring that Operator service continue
> Create portals that provide linkages between the needy and
> the donors
> Avoid glorifying destructions

Stephen Ndegwa Mwangi
Executive Director