[kictanet] Election fiasco reveals Technological dinosaurs

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:51:17 EAT 2008

Hello Kagwe,

I agree to the ban, but only in temporary extraordinary circumstances.
In situations where nationhood is at stake. Resorting to blanket ethnic
stations bans is not a cure pointing to banning vernacular all over;
schools, forces, workplaces, including at our homes (READ Freedom)

Such bans punish rural folks who speak mainly or only in vernacular.
Thus succeeding in burying the real problem deeper which I still insist
is not tribalism. The ban would be a sacrificial, symptom, and cosmetic
treatment not the real cure the disease.

Our problem is corruption and resulting spoils-both real and perceived.
We need to honestly address this problem which will otherwise persist
even if the current situation is negotiated out of.

Corruption is so lucrative, compelling ridiculous business persons
'investments' in their "person" aspirants/candidate. Its a business that
promises insane profits and rewards.

--<snip>--
[International Herald Tribune]
STRUGGLE FOR DEMOCRACY: KENYA
"Corruption trumps tribalism"
By Simon Roughneen
January 10, 2008
--
(page 2)

Given these realities, perhaps an effective way to influence Kenya
would be to discourage tourism, forcing its leaders to establish a
mental link between corrupt government and empty hotels.

This is not as far-fetched as it might sound: During the recent
violence, a warning by the British Foreign Office advising travelers
to avoid Kenya was followed hours later with some conciliatory
statements from both Kibaki and Odinga.

Both Odinga and Kibaki have traded mutual allegations of genocide
and ethnic cleansing. But while the deaths of hundreds of people
and the displacement of thousands more is tragic, it is not genocide.
Reckless language can spur more attacks and create an
uncontrollable situation, irrespective of what political dialogue can
be arranged in the coming days. But some form of an interim national
unity government may yet be sorted out, perhaps paving the way for
either a decisive recount or an election rerun."
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/10/opinion/edrough.php?page=2>
--snip--

Why bother repeating so many known corruptions? The stations serve
to report corruption in the language understood by rural folk thus it risks
being viewed as gagging media stations to shield corruption. We should
avoid being drawn into corruption camps going by many names tribalism
and banning stations may be seen as one of many convenient excuses.

We need to build a new society but one that does not punish innocent
people denying them basic right to receive information or communicate
for who they are. That would violate Section 79. (1) of the Constitution:
Protection of freedom of expression.
http://www.bunge.go.ke/downloads/constitution.pdf

Regards self-regulation:
Are you suggesting that the government controls various media content?

Hope not and urge you to see self-regulation as curtailing big
government high-handedness and extension of opaqueness and continued
indulgence
in corruption which is our core problem.

Furthermore, when government assumes role of defining social standards
and morallity policing, it could outlaw languages or "tribal" cultures etc in
the name of official fight against tribalism citing recent events for example.

My response is influenced by http://www.kippra.org/ mission statement.

I would appreciate your reaction.

Alex