[kictanet] Election fiasco reveals Technological dinosaurs

James Kagwe jkagwe at KIPPRA.OR.KE
Thu Jan 10 17:23:18 EAT 2008

Dear all,

I totally agree with this and I happened to intentionally listen to some
of the vernacular radio stations during the elections day (names
undisclosed) and the content was quite inciting and tribal.

As Geoffrey is saying I don't think there is anyone in Kenya today who
does not understand Kiswahili and therefore we can have them using
Swahili or English restrictively.

We happen to have quite a number of English stations Kiss, Easy,
Classics, Capital e.t.c and every morning as I go work I hear different
people enjoying breakfast shows from different stations and as a result
all of them are competing but are in business.

The suggestions made earlier of the ICT bill and media self regulation
helping to resolve the issue is not very practical considering for
example that you need a Kikuyu to understand inciting information
emanating from a Kikuyu radio station and the same with other tribes.

Given the tribal alignment that we are seeing even in professional
organizations media regulation may follow suit where we may have those
supposed to ensure conformity being compromised because it is their
tribe that is being affected.

Radio stations should use languages that are nationally understandable
to all.

Regards,
James Kagwe
Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis
Bishops Garden Towers
Bishops Road
P.O. Box 56445
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: (254) 20 2719933, 2719934, 2714714, 2714715
Fax: (254) 20 2719951
Confidentiality Warning
The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation are
confidential and any use thereof, in what ever form, by anyone other
than the addressee is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
admin at kippra.or.ke and delete it immediately from your system.
Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis accepts no
responsibility for losses or damage as a result of any viruses and it is
your responsibility to check attachments (if any) for viruses.