[kictanet] Election fiasco reveals Technological dinosaurs

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:37:13 EAT 2008

Harrison,

Agreed! Media's responsible self-regulation is paying off see have a look;

--snip--

COMMENTARY

Media council should set rules for covering conflicts
Story by PETER MWAURA | Fair Play
Publication Date: 1/5/2008

After viewing a K24 Eyewitness News video tape by Jeff Koinange (of
CNN fame) on the riots in Kibera, Nairobi, and several newspaper
pictures of the post-election violence that began on Sunday, I was
struck by one fact: The rioters understood that they must feed the
cameras.

In those pictures, the rioters were acting out for the cameras. They
seemed to know that to further their side of the dispute they had to
get the media to become part of them. They understood perfectly that
they had to feed the media to keep their cause in the headlines.

So when the cameras arrived, the rioters stepped up their war dance,
held up their stones and machetes and burning tyres menacingly for the
world to see. They were seeking to influence public perceptions of the
riots. And the media empowered them.

I was also struck by the symbiotic relationship between journalists
and rioters. I was reminded of the famous CNN video tape of Nigeria's
Niger Delta rebels repeatedly aired on February 7, 2007. Wielding
guns, the rebels in black outfits and black ski masks put up a war
dance for the benefit of Jeff Koinange and his TV crew.

BY COVERING A CONFLICT, JOURNALISTS play out the conflict. They frame,
and sometimes inflame, the conflict. They create the reality on which
we base our understanding of the conflict.

<http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgcontententry.asp?category_id=25&newsid=113974>

--snip--

Thus Media Council should be more active in stepping forward to be
more all-round visible?

Best,

Alex