[kictanet] LIKELY JUNK [Fwd: Sambaza Amani]

Harrison K Kairo kairo at softlaw.co.ke
Thu Jan 3 19:04:48 EAT 2008

Thank you Alice, I support your call for peace. It saddens me that my
first contribution to this list is not about innovation or
entrepreneurship in ICT - those things that I love so much to write
about. But today I am forced to I write about something I love even
more, and that is my country Kenya.

On December 26th 2007 I broke my vacation upcountry and drove two
hundred kilometres in order to get to my polling station early the next
morning to cast my vote. My enthusiasm to exercise my civic duty ensured
that by 7:30 am on voting day I was done and was only to wait for the
results. I now watch in disbelief as Kenya disintegrates at an alarming
pace.

I cannot stand by and watch as my beautiful Kenya is destroyed by the
pride of two men. Kenya is bigger than both actors in this current
crisis. The intransigence of these leaders will not endear supporters to
them in the long run. The solution is compromise; making equitable
concessions that bring them to a middle ground.

I preach compromise because it is the surest way to resolve conflict. I
have had conflicts as well in business; I have had to deal several times
with dissatisfied clients, unsatisfactory service/products from
suppliers, angry creditors, mteja debtors, unreasonable landlords etc.
and I have found that however bad any situation seems it can be resolved
where there is compromise. I've had to compromise where I feel aggrieved
and where I am perceived as the instigator of the conflict; and where
necessary I have actively sought compromise from my antagonist.

I therefore make a passionate plea to Hon. Raila Odinga and Hon. Mwai
Kibaki not to act like compromise is a dirty word, and instead to
embrace it for the sake of millions of Kenyans.

I also challenge Hon. Kalonzo Musyoka to rise to the occasion. Kenyans
are looking for a leader who will aggressively pursue the path of peace
and reconciliation. A leader who will desist from empty rhetoric and
instead act pragmatically to quell violence and sow harmony. Hon.
Musyoka this is your opportunity to show us what you're made of; don't
waste it.