[kictanet] [Skunkworks] proposed new license fees for Application/Content Service Providers

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 11:18:45 EAT 2008

Greetings Walu,

At the school I went to, we had a headmaster and when school
captains went to consult him, he used to say, "Before I tell you
what I have decided, do you have anything to say?" I then asked
why bother speaking when the headmaster has already decided?

CCK should cancel those proposed fees completely otherwise
they are guilty of frustrating promotion of local content from going
online and other e-services, the fees being proof. On one hand we
are working very hard at addressing the local content problem, but
on the on the other the regulator is busy making it even harder to
achieve that goal. Except for those already endowed….

Why is it that whenever innovative, promising new services are
round the corner, CCK shuts them down via impossible fees and
conditions. Some examples: Outsourcing has great potential then
CCK started asking for 100,000/= license fees from operators
start-ups.

ISP services licenses can only be afforded by city businesspersons
 - as a result 81% of Kenya Internet is available only in Nairobi
leaving out "unprofitable" or "not so affluent/lucrative" rural folks.
Local Loop Operators - whose, how many and where are they
located? Regional Telecommunication Operators, now content...
what will the next license be?)

India succeeded in widespread internet penetration when their
government came to terms with the reality that national access
and growth was more valuable that exorbitant annual one-off
license fees thus charged 0(zero) rupees to ISPs until in 2003
when they had to charge just 1 (one) rupee as contractual
consideration to make agreements legal;) But apparently
ours still believes in license income.

Board Authority/Decision Processes:

Alice Munyua sits at the CCK Board thus no excuse not to know
or not party to this proposal - but she did not find it necessary to
inform us of this important issue?

Then why was it necessary to start a discussion on how to help
regulators e-capacity if them the CCK Board knows it all? My
onlist question on whether CCK asked us for help were ignored
and never answered to-date.

Maybe we have a principally flawed regulatory approach resulting
in an "Open-But-Shut" liberalized market, impossible for many new
players to enter in order to deliver effective market competition for
the benefit of telecomm consumers. This explains why end up
stuck with perpetually oligopolies keen to retain and expand their
grip on the users ("the market") and a handful of institutionalized
conformists benefiting alongside.

The worst part is that the regulatory philosophy is (deliberately?)
structured to lock out small timers and newcomers while consolidating
industry benefits in the hands of a few, wealthy.

But remember public officials are in office to protect and promote
public interests and if the public is not consulted most widely,
then for whom are they in office serving?

For now and considering that the comments are expected by 5 pm
today! I choose to sit back and wait to hear what the headmaster
had already decided;)

Good day,

Alex