[kictanet] [Fwd: [Fibre-for-africa] Keeping it all straight]

alice alice at apc.org
Thu Feb 14 17:14:17 EAT 2008

Dear all

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Fibre-for-africa] Keeping it all straight
Date: 	Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:40:25 +0200
From: 	Steve Song <ssong.lists at gmail.com>
To: 	fibre-for-africa at lists.apc.org

Greetings,

In the wake of the cable cuts, few would argue that there are too many
African cable initiatives but there certainly enough to make it
difficult to keep it all straight.

I created a short page listing the various cables and their key
investors at
http://manypossibilities.net/2008/02/african-undersea-cables/ and a map
of some of the initiatives at
http://manypossibilities.net/2008/02/african-undersea-cables-map/  If
anyone has maps or even rough diagrams of Uhurunet or Infraco's
initiatives, I would be grateful to be able to add it to the map.

Also, if anyone can point me to more information on Flag's Next
Generation Network (NGN) or the Main One initiative, I would be very
interested to hear about it.

Thanks... Steve

P.S.  I see today that VSNL (now rebranded as Tata Communications) have
announced a 50 million dollar investment in Seacom
(http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=146025).  Only two
weeks ago, there was news announcing their investment in EASSy
(http://www.telecomtiger.com/fullstory.aspx?storyid=527).   In the wake
of flagging profits, they are obviously betting a lot on Africa.