[kictanet] Kenya: The Media is Not Innocent

Frances Angalia jfrances02 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 16:15:39 EAT 2008

njoAt this point in time, with all the pain we as part of IDPs and journalists- and as a country have experenced, the blame game is not beneficial. We all know to what extend our media houses nad even mobile subscribers, contributed to the spread of bad feelings  that has brot untold sufferingto our country. We must admit that some, if not all of the msgs we printed and broadcasted, sent and received, werent fully censored. Whether it was for financial, communal or personal satisfaction is no longer the issue.

What matters now is: what can we spread thru our media to REBUILD A PEACEFUL KENYA? A NATION ONE IS PROUD TO LIVE IN? A COUNTRY WHERE SOME OF US ARE TRIBELESS, HAVING BEEN BORN AND MARRIED BY PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT COMMUNITIES? Let us aid the success of the mediation process by giving to kenyans and the world that which is true, just and respectable to all of humanity, irrespective of which part of Kenya, or world they come from!
JFrances

Farida Karoney <fkaroney at ktnkenya.com> wrote:       Wainaina
 I personally authorised the story you are blaming  KTN for and can vouch for the integrity of that report  any time. If indeed  you believe it is not possible to steal an election, how come that ballot boxes  were found with lessos, and election materials in some polling  stations?

 We cannot resolve explosive issues by hiding  or supressing  the truth, and no one is trying to exonerate the press. Let  us not pretend that we do not know why we are where we are, it is definately not  because of KTN or the Standard Group.

 And it is certainly  not  an academic  excercise, afterall most of us do not have another place to call home except  Kenya. Believe me, any Country which calls itself democratic must be able to  live with a free press, no matter how much of a nuisance it is.

 By all means industry players need mechanisms to  promote responsible behaviour in the media but aggression against media  houses in light of the current political crisis is in my opinion  misplaced.

 regards
 Farida