[kictanet] Is Big Brother watching us?

Kwach kwach at archway-productions.com
Mon Feb 11 11:38:47 EAT 2008

Bwana PS,Dr Bitange Ndemo,

I would like to join the debate by first of all making my stand that hate
message is something negative which only radiates negative energies,
attitudes, and other aspects that are hindrance to peaceful coexistence
among fellow citizens.

My areas of concern are; Kenyans have been made by customs to rely on rumors
on issues that the media are scared of posting for obvious reasons. What
would baffle anyone is somehow some of these rumors have come to be true.
The state intelligence and the press actually rely on the same for further
investigations. So, where is the thin line between the hate message and
concerns by the citizens? As we speak, how many Kenyans with mobile phones
can clearly define what a hate message is? This is more so when we have to
consider languages (vernacular) and cultures in different parts of the
country. We should invite a legal expert to shade light on areas of
electronic media.

I believe many on this list have mainly been expressing their concern as
relates to privacy. What does my contract with say Safaricom or Celtel
entail? In my view, I would want to look at the SMS services positively as
business tools and this position is supported by a number of innovations
brought in the market in the recent past. Business information is supposed
to remain confidential.

Whatever the Government decides to do, it should be carried out in a
civilised manner, not to treat Kenyans as if they are all lazy people only
sending hate messages. More importantly, the service provider organizations
should not be seen here to be used as state machines to frustrate their
customers. Let's encourage public awareness campaign, people would rather
stop bad habits because they have realized it is not good for the nation and
mankind but not out of fear and oppression.

I trust all these have been expressed respectfully and in relevance to the
ongoing debates. Equally, we are all interested in working towards a better
Kenya.

Best regards,

Akich Kwach