[kictanet] Is Big Brother watching us?

Miano Njoka mianonjoka at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:03:21 EAT 2008

A while back, the government announced that it would prosecute anyone
sending hate messages via SMS. Safaricom's CEO mentioned in a post to this
list that they were working on a filtering system to stop hate messages,
pornography, etc.

Are these actions right? Is Big Brother (in George Orwell's 1984) watching
us? I guess valid arguments can be made both for and against the government
invading its citizens privacy in the interest of national security, what I'd
like to know is, are these actions legal? Are there laws in Kenya to protect
the right to privacy? Are communication companies bound by law to protect
their customers information? Are these laws, if any, enforced?

Miano Njoka.