[kictanet] 1 million Laptops for who?

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Mon Dec 15 10:15:32 EAT 2008

Dear Yawe,
We are into early stages of negotiation with a Chip manufacturer to put
together a programme with local manufacturers to produce high quality low
priced lap tops.  Individual manufacturers cannot achieve the level of
discount we intend to push.  If you recall, it was not possible for one
operator to bring fibre optuic here but with Government facilitation, we
have been able to achieve our objectives.  Similarly, it is not possible
to have one manufacturer attain the level of volume discount we desire.
The Government can facilitate their coming together either by providing
some subsidies or partly guaranteeing credit from banks to buy computers.
There are other macro interventions we are looking at to address the cost
of accessing technology in Kenya.  Much of this will come in the early
part of the year.  You are also welcome to make suggestions before we
conretize any of the negotiations.

regards

Ndemo.