[kictanet] Mobile vs Broadband?

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 07:48:02 EAT 2008

As a tech input on this and my opinion, Safaricom is true broadband
available to end users and many other telcos dragging their feet on 3g
implementation elsewhere should borrow a leaf on this. The mobile
broadband  platform has enabled users like myself to do various tests
including remote cctv ( frame by frame ), large file transfers and currently
on software as a service. 3G will eventually become an excellent means of
access and distribution to local content. To those who are technical, mobile
speeds to local networks on downlink can be around upto 3200kbps and around
240kbps to international sites. The international issue we understand.
Similarly, Orange EVDO ( CDMA implementation of 3G - mobile modem )  is also
doing pretty well with excellent speeds in the evenings and the hope is that
its network management will improve over time.

We now have excellent mobile data infrastructure within Nairobi as a start.
What may be lacking is the development to use these platforms to advance
access and content to users.

My thots....