[kictanet] Mobile vs Broadband?

Brian Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 00:02:26 EAT 2008

THanks for the input Eric - but I beg to differ. Today you can obtain
5-7Mbps on a 3G-capable mobile phone (tested in Kenya on Safaricom's network
by Aki & the local tech group Skunkworks). EDGE network can offer up to
about 470Kbps.

If we take the generally accepted parameters for broadband as anything above
512Kbps then we can actually argue that mobile IS broadband - when 3G and
EDGE capabilities are available.

This issue has actually been taken up by the W3C consortium and they have
recognised the huge disruption potential that the mobile phenomenon in
Africa has to usher in a new era of human/computer/network interface - to
this end they are holding an even in Mozambique in April 2009 aimed at
bringing together thought leaders, technologists, policy makers etc to take
a better look at the subject.

The future is bright!

Brian

Brian Munyao Longwe