[kictanet] Satement by Brian Longwe from Panel on Access in Main Session of Internet Governance Forum, Hyderabad, India 3rd Dec 2008

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Wed Dec 3 22:12:24 EAT 2008

I agree with Brian that mobiles hold the answer to the access question
in Africa....with ever increasing competition and prospects of more
incentives to operators and consumers, we should fill a large portion
of the access gap.

The next challenge should be mobile CONTENT and APPLICATIONS that are
relevant and empowering to the populace. Several services are being
developed for advocacy purposes e.g. ( http://mobiles.tacticaltech.org
) and m-health, m-government etc etc.

I hope the open-minded policies in relation m-pesa will be applied
across the board as we develop more mobile applications / m-services.

Wainaina

--
Sent from my mobile device