[kictanet] Day 10 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Socio-Cultural Issues

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 15:56:33 EAT 2008

Mwende,

My contribution on content is borrowed from the 'real-world' situation with TV/Radio content as practiced in the developed economies.  Basically, all debatable content such as that of pornographic nature should be rated and access controlled.

I truly live in fear for my son, who will be a teenager in another six years when pornography will be streaming in - as is already happening- through FM Radio, TV, Internet, 3G Mobile Phone, iPods, Matatus, etc. Only that time, it is likely to be cheaper, faster and virtually realistic.  A nation grown on a diet of pornography produces future pedophiles that come to feast on the next generation - as is common in West and emerging in our (urban?) society.

My other contribution is on eLearning. eLearning has matured significantly over the last few years and is now a proven pedagogical methodology that is being exploited to the maximum by the Northern countries.  It is really upto us in Kenya, to measure up and became the eLearning Center for this region. Imagine, UoN,  Strathmore or KCCT floating their courses online and thereby reaching that Rwandese who always dreamt of getting a Kenyan Education but could not afford it due to overhead costs for meals, accomodation, transport, etc...

walu.