[kictanet] Day 10 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Socio-Cultural Issues

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 08:36:24 EAT 2008

Morning!

Today we enter our last day of discussion on Socio-cultural issues.

To begin with, we discuss issues relating to content control and freedom of
expression.  The internet governance discussions on content focus on the
need to control three groups of content.  Firstly, content where a global
consensus is in place including child pornography and terrorism.  Secondly,
content that might be sensitive to particular countries, regions or ethnic
groups due to their religious and cultural values. Thirdly, politically and
ideologically sensitive content. There already exist several initiatives
that limit the potential misuse of the internet.  Are there such initiatives
in Africa? How can we enhance national legislation to include a content
policy that would guarantee the protection of human rights, specifically
freedom of expression and also remove the ambiguous role of ISPs, law
enforcement agencies and other players?

Secondly, we discuss issues relating to the delivery of education services
over the internet (e-learning).  Many students from developing countries are
today opting for online education to overcome the challenge of prohibitive
costs associated with foreign education.  Increased cross-border education
has brought about international governance issues in relation to
accreditation of institutions, recognition of qualification and quality
assurance.  Is there an existing national policy on online education?  What
measures need to be put in place to assist our local universities develop
e-learning programmes in order to protect our culture/traditions implicitly
transmitted through our local institutions as well as prevent capital
flight?