[kictanet] Day 9 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Socio-Cultural Issues

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 14:15:56 EAT 2008

--- On Thu, 8/21/08, Bill Kagai <billkagai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you ever met someone who can 'read and write' swahili but cannot >'ditto' english???

Bill,

for a moment i thought this was 'hassler' question - designed to throw me  off guard...but it got me searching for someone who could actually read and write in Swahili but had no clue of English.

Then I suddenly recalled that my late Grandfather used to read his popular Taifa Leo (swahili paper) but had absolutely no clue with the English language. Ofcourse using his Kiswahili literacy skills, he could get to 'read' English as well - just the same way you and I can read Latin - but it wouldnt make sense to him.

I would bet there are enough of these type of people in Kenya, particularly at the Coast (Pwani) who may have Swahili literacy but without the benefit of English Understanding.  Kags can you help me here?- am trying to raise a case for the people bwana!

walu.