[kictanet] Day 9 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Socio-Cultural Issues

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 10:27:19 EAT 2008

Mucheru/Mwende,

http://www.google.co.tz is truly fantastic.

I  had always been skeptical about the need for a multi-lingual Internet. But after visiting http://www.google.co.tz i suddenly realised what it means for someone who speaks and reads only one language e.g. Swahili.  It can truly open up  opportunities and change their lives.

I wish we had more Swahili content. Imagine wikipedia in Swahili or put the other way round - imagine that all that wealth of information in wikipedia is NOT available to the millions of Africans who speak/read only Swahili or their mother tongue. These folks are digitally handicapped and will never compete successfully in an English dominated Information Society/Internet.

We need companies like Google to make deliberate investments in these area in order to effectively jumpstart and widen our participation in the knowledge economy.

walu.