[kictanet] Day 7 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Economic Issues

Sylvester Kisonzo skisonzo at securenet.co.ke
Tue Aug 19 13:24:53 EAT 2008

Who should be responsible:  I (still) suggest a regulator, supported by
requisite legislation. Trust, Confidence need to be created for e-comm to
thrive. I do not think developing countries can afford to move in a
direction different from the rest of the world - one - because they do not
make up a substantial market of their own  and - two - they greatly depend
on the first world. As has been said in the past, for e-commerce to thrive,
there is need for trusted systems to exist, starting from CAs all the way to
Governance structures supported by legislation.

How about politics? All economies need to have (strong democratic) political
structures in place. Economics in the third world is dependent on politics,
so having national legislation that may not be respected by governments may
not make it any easier.

Sylvester