[kictanet] Global Innovation Forum

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Tue Aug 19 11:55:16 EAT 2008

This event, to be held in Armenia, could be of interest to some,
particularly the youth. Apologies for any possible crossposting.

Waudo
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:26:51 +0400, "UN GAID - Athgo" <yerevan08 at athgo.or
g> said:

              [cid:image007.png at 01C8FF9B.5BF696C0]

             GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR ICT AND DEVELOPMENT

                           SECRETARIAT

                               And

  THE COMMITTEE OF E-LEADERS FOR YOUTH AND ICT FOR DEVELOPMENT

 Room DC1-1464, One United Nations Plaza, New York, N.Y., 10017

       Telephone: (1-212) 963-5796  Fax:  (1-917) 367-4340

   e-mail:  [1]gaid at un-gaid.org   Website:  [2]www.un-gaid.org

Dear Mr. Waudo
Siganga,

In September of 2007, the United Nations Global Alliance for ICT
and Development (GAID) hosted its first Youth Forum for ICT &
Development in Geneva, Switzerland. Over 600 youth from 30
different countries convened to engage in a worldwide
consultation on the use of ICTs to achieve the MDGs. One specific
outcome of the forum was establishing a Global Youth Coalition
for the UN ICT activities.  To this end, in April of 2008, the
UNDESA-GAID appointed 12 young persons from around the globe to a
Committee of e-Leaders for ICT & Youth, who aim to further build
a worldwide network of youth that support the United Nations
mission of harnessing technology for development.

On behalf of the UNDESA-GAID and the Committee of e-Leaders for
ICT & Youth, we ask you to join us in our mission and request
your support and for its first main event: the Global Innovation
Forum for Education and Development, from 21 to 24 October 2008,
in Yerevan, Armenia. We invite you to tap into your extensive
youth networks and bring participants to this ground breaking
event.

The Global Innovation Forum for Education and Development is
being jointly organized by GAID, the Committee of e-Leaders, and
Athgo International. The forum will bring together young ICT4D
practitioners and experts from government, civil society and the
private sector to showcase their successful ICT practices in the
areas of local content, access and connectivity. A critical theme
of the conference will be education for innovation in development
with young people themselves displaying educational policy
prescriptions as the key example of enhancing innovation for
development. The four-day interactive conference will allow ample
opportunity for young people to develop substantive policy
proposals in collaboration with policy makers and business
executives.

Each participant will have the opportunity to engage policy
makers, experts and his/her peers to draft innovative solutions
to ICT development and implementation challenges.  On the final
day, the young participants will showcase their plans in
innovation panels.  The proposals will be evaluated by leaders in
government, the private sector, and civil society, and will be
showcased at the conference closing ceremonies.

Mr. Waudo Siganga

Chairman

The Computer Society of Kenya

P.O. Box 70180, 00400 TOM Mboya Street

Nairobi, Kenya

                            -   2   -

The Secretary-General of the United Nations, in his message to
the GAID Strategy Council meeting held in Silicon Valley in
February 2007, stressed that:

            "It is important that you work as a true partnership
of all essential

            stakeholders - governments, civil society, the
private sector, academia

            and others. All of you are needed if we are to
succeed."

Indeed, this is an outstanding opportunity for your organization
to demonstrate its interest in ICT for Education and Development
work, and showcase success stories that have empowered youth via
ICTs.  The event will also offer many opportunities for your
organization to develop closer cooperation with the global ICT
community at large.

We warmly welcome your engagement in the upcoming Global
Innovation Forum for Education and Development as an active
partner. We invite you to reach out to your networks and recruit
youth from around the world to attend the Forum. Young people
(ages 18-35) are the critical audience of this cutting edge
program and we look forward to fostering dialogue and innovation
among youth. Participants can register at
http://www.un-gaid.org/civicrm/event/register?id=4&reset=1.

We also invite you and representatives from your organization to
present at one of the many panels and workshops of the
conference. At these interactive sessions, presenters will engage
the participants to analyze the state of ICT for development in
the real developing world and inspire them to innovate solutions
to pressing challenges.

A brief project document on the Forum’s objectives, participants,
tentative programme structure, expected outcomes, budget
estimates and sponsorship opportunities is attached for ease of
reference.  Please do not hesitate to contact Enrica Murmura of
the GAID secretariat at murmura at un.org should you need additional
information or have questions.

On behalf of the youth around the world engaged in ICTs, we thank
you for your time and consideration. We hope that you will be an
active partner/participant in this first major UN Committee of
e-Leaders for ICT & Youth event.

                        Yours sincerely,

              [cid:image008.jpg at 01C8FF9B.5BF696C0]

              [cid:image009.jpg at 01C8FF9B.5BF696C0]

                         Sarbuland Khan

                      Executive Coordinator

                              GAID

                          Armen Orujyan

                             Member

          GAID Committee of e-Leaders for Youth and ICT

References

1. mailto:gaid at un-gaid.org
2. http://www.un-gaid.org/
People make a plan work, a plan alone seldom makes people work (Confucius).