[kictanet] Day 7 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Economic Issues

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Tue Aug 19 10:28:59 EAT 2008

Hi all,

Well just to add on to this debate. We have various trading blocks -
EAC, COMESA etc. I dont have the data on how much we trade against each
of this blocks - but i would imagine that the level of trade carried out
between the regions is almost equal to the amount of communications that
   is conducted amongst the trading parties. If thats the case, what
role should Governments, regulators etc play in ensuring that
communications between the various trading blocks is efficient and cost
effective i.e almost as the cost of local services. IMHO this would go a
long way in reducing the amount of dependence on international
connectivity for regional traffic. - This may as well be a point to
review on the interconnection issue - but i sort of see the relationship
between the economics and interconnection.

Regards,

Michuki.