[kictanet] Day 7 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Economic Issues

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:21:53 EAT 2008

Morning!!

Thank you all for your contribution to various aspects of internet
governance.  Today we start our discussions on economic issues.  The
internet is increasingly playing a critical role in economic development
specifically in facilitating international trade.

The economic issues therefore basically relate to the framework that makes
e-commerce possible. The participation of developing countries in e-commerce
is limited by the lack the appropriate legislation, authentication
technologies and electronic payment methods.  The main limitation however is
the lack of appropriate legislation that is essential in the protection of
consumers in relation to confidentiality, misleading advertising and
delivery of faulty products.

In your view, who should be responsible for protection of the consumer in
light of the fact that the national legislation may be faced with the
limitation of jurisdiction?  Given that mobile services are available to the
majority, should developing countries concentrate their efforts in enabling
m-commerce to overcome the challenges of e-commerce?  What private sector
initiatives are there in e-commerce particularly in e-Payments?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Mwende

Disclaimer: These comments are the author's own