[kictanet] Introducing the next facilitator :- Mwende Njiraini

Gakuru, Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:58:04 EAT 2008

Allow me to also welcome Mwende.

Considering the issues mentioned by Walu that you will be taking us
through, and not-so-visible participation by some, it would appear
that among your "performance contract" tests may include how bring in
other Kenyans. Among the proposals made at recent EA ICT Policy
harmonisation workshop included need to have speacilaised courts with
sitting E-compliant judges and lawyers to catapult ICT into the legal
arena. This was borne of the the result from specialized courts such
as Commercial Courts, Kadhi's Court, Childrens Court therefore having
"Technology Courts" internet, telecommunications, broadcasting, and
print media cases could be heard by expert judges. Called in to
testify would be Technology witnesses- a concept now advanced, for
example, in the US. Google "Technology Expert Witness" returns
http://expertpages.com/experts/information_technology.htm ,
http://www.itexpertwitness.net/ ,
http://www.jurispro.com/category/computers-s-236/ ,
http://www.fair-opinion.com/ among many others.

We appreciated "1. there is a gap between expertise  on rules and
regulations on ICT issues 2. Intellectual property challenges"  but I
am also happy to report that proposed "ICT Policy Portal"
recommendation was adopted and  it will be realised very soon. This
will enable everyone to visit the portal read policies and comments on
evolving technology issues.

Food for thought at your moderation session:

"in exploitation of this new knowledge and technology by itself and
for itself, and in becoming part, and not just observers or simple
admirers, of the innovations and advancements in the knowledge and
production of the technology. Our concern is also borne out of the
lessons from the history of the introduction of communications
technologies into Africa and the kinds of relationships that these
have engendered: first between African societies on one hand and
external powers and forces on the other; and then in post-colonial
times between African popular social forces on one hand and the states
and their ruling elites on the other. And this forum and project,
perhaps, offers an opportunity to address some of the critical issues
involved so as to make contributions toward moving forward in
fundamental ways."

"Historically, modern (that is in the industrial era) communications
technology were introduced into Africa by external forces for purposes
of enhancing interests and objectives other than those of the African
peoples. The coming of the telegraph and the laying of submarine
cables around the continent from the late 1880s had the explicit
objects of imperial military and political dominance and colonial
commercial exploitation. (The role of the telegraph in subduing
African resistance, such as the Ashanti, the Zulu and others in the
late 19th century is well documented.) Symbolically this is why the
early telegraph and telephone connections ran along railway networks
and into mining and other raw material resource areas."

Communications technologies enhance, or embody the potential of
enhancing, the expansion of freedom of expression. What makes the new
generation of technology even more enhancing of free expression, as we
all know, is the potential for interactivity and enhanced access for
personal participation and use in creating, producing and sharing
information by citizens or groups of them. "

Excerpts from: Key note address - Kwame Karikari (PDF)
<http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/africa+workshop+report+resources>

Regards,

Alex