[kictanet] Day 3 of 10:-IGF Discussions, Internet Interconnection Charges

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Thu Aug 14 22:48:40 EAT 2008

Gakuru, Alex wrote:

> Therefore, I strongly object to your statement and instead call for
> ever increased competition (see: "his consumer group is working to
> assure that the people of Kenya gain access to affordable, reliable
> networked communications from competitive carriers."
> <http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/igf_interviews_2007.xhtml>)

The interesting bit that you are missing in our local environment with
regards to competition is that you have increased competition in one
space that is ISP but no competition in the infrastructure/gateway
provider space. As a result what we have is increased contention ratio's
for consumers by ISPs and hence the poor QoS and more affordable costs.

Regards,

Michuki.