[kictanet] Day 3 of 10:-IGF Discussions, Internet Interconnection Charges

Brian Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 10:52:06 EAT 2008

Alex,

The term is not "announcing" it is known as "peering"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering which is defined as
"
is voluntary interconnection of administratively separate
Internet<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet>
networks <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_network> for the purpose of
exchanging traffic between the customers of each network. The pure
definition of peering is settlement-free or "sender keeps all," meaning that
neither party pays the other for the exchanged traffic, instead, each
derives revenue from its own customers.
"

Underlying the ability to peer is the ability to access affordable
infrastructure, otherwise most operators settle for transit arrangements
where the inherent costs of the underlying transport is too high.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com