[kictanet] Day 1 0f 10:-Internet Governance Discussions, Introductory Theme

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Mon Aug 11 20:13:45 EAT 2008

Hi Brian et al,

Brian Munyao Longwe wrote:

> 1) Cyber-Crime: Due to the vast nature of the network, the Internet
> a good example here is the Nigeria "419" scams which in the recent
> past seem to be originating more from the USA/Europe than from
> Nigeria itself.

> 2) Cyber-Warfare: also known as "information warfare" it is defined
> in Wikipedia as "... the use and management of information in pursuit
> of a competitive advantage over an opponent.

> 3) Child Pornography: Among other evils that plague the Internet,
> this is probably the most disturbing.

> 4) Spam: it has been reported that unsolicited commercial email and
> more recently malicious, meaningless email garbage constitutes almost
> 80% of all email transmitted over the internet.

The common factor between them is that they are successful and thriving
markets niches and steady revenue streams to a whole lot of folks. That
means they continually provide incentive to the players to keep
re-inventing themselves against all legal and enforcement measures.

IMHO until the day the huge financial gains can be eroded from such
activities we cannot anticipate significant success to be achieved in
the near or short-term.

We must recognize that the commercialization of the Internet resource
has brought us both the good and bad, and the best and worst are yet to
come. How we deal with these present issues (both good and bad) will
impact the future of the Internet resource as we know it today; either
positively or negatively.

Best regards,

Michuki.

believed to be clean.