[kictanet] Muzzling Expression, Maiming and Killing

Shem Ochuodho shemochuodho at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 09:46:01 EAT 2008

Walu,

Did you say Kenya has moved beyond censorship by elimination? While I have also chosen to treat my matter as 'normal thuggery' (although this shouldn't be the 'normal' practice in a civil society anyway), I don't agree with your statement herein. The mysterious disappearance of Odhiambo Mbae is still fresh on some people's minds. And while we would like to treat the disappearances of MPs like Were to be 'normal thuggery', they don't appear any different from what used to happen during Moi's/Kenyatta's time. At any rate how would one explain Githongo's and/or Maina Kiai's (temporary) flight? You think they just love to take off? While the opening up of the democractic space is laudable, I wouldn't as yet be so optimistic.

Many thanks Vitalis for the 'pole'.
Best rgrds,
Shem