[kictanet] Training for Digital Villages Operators

Evans Ikua ikua at lpakenya.org
Tue Apr 29 17:49:46 EAT 2008

After a close look at the ICT Board program for training their "Pasha"
operators especially on the technology to use, I noticed that they are
planning to train them on the ICDL curriculum, which is based on
Microsoft.

What this means is that they are expected to get their Ksh 100,000
loan and then decide whether to buy software or to buy computers, not
to mention pay rent and all other startup costs.

As you can expect, MS will wait in the wings for them to use
unlicensed copies of their software and then pounce on them,
confiscating their computers till they pay up.

Then as happened with the cyber cafes, they will start looking for
Linux installers to migrate them. This will take them back to square 1
to start learning how to use Linux.

My suggestion therefore to the ICT Board is to seriously consider
starting off these guys on Linux and the OpenICDL curriculum, which
will mean that they don't have to buy software they can hardly afford,
or use illegal copies and keep looking behind their backs.

Not to do this will be to encourage use of illegal software and vendor
lock-in. It will also mean that they are setting the stage for mass
failure of the whole project.

That is my humble opinion.

--
Evans Ikua