[kictanet] Microsoft denies threatening to withdraw funding

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Tue Apr 22 11:42:02 EAT 2008

Actually the Government never voted and was never called upon to
vote on this issue. The Government only facilitated the
stakeholder committee at KEBS and national voting was done by
members of that committee. The overall issue however reiterates
what I see as a persistent problem regarding ICT and Government:
ICT is wide and diverse, as well as being horizontal to the
Government structure. This sometimes leads to matters that are
considered "ICT" not revolving around a central spoke in the
Governemnt structure. So for example KEBS (and by extension
issues of ICT standards) falls under the Ministry of trade. In
the committee that handled OOXML there was no representative from
the Ministry of Info and Comm., which was a mistake because the
Government was a Stakeholder. All this ultimately suggests the
necessity for the establishment of an oversight statutory ICT
Authority as is being proposed by KEPSA to the ongoing Government
harmonization Committee.

Waudo

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:14:43 -0700 (PDT), "Rebecca Wanjiku" <rebeccawanji