[kictanet] Positive energy and the KCSE

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Fri Apr 11 12:41:05 EAT 2008

Dear All,
As we discussed the the KCSE error, Eric Aligula sent the quotations below
and I think they capture the spirit in which we should approach such
problems.  Often we spend more time to criticise yet this forum has some
of the best minds in ICT.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
nothing."
Edmund Burke

"Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

In the past we have spent our collective negative energy to kill projects
that could have uplifted this country out of poverty. For example, the
Nyayo car.  Although there was evidence of corruption it is common
knowledge that cost of any protype is usually high.  Our learned good men
and women did not come out to explain the behaviour of variable and fixed
costs.  The Malaysians if you read about their Proton were experiencing
the same.  What saved their project was the benevolent dictatorship of
their leadership.  Today the Proton is as good a car as any and Kenyans
are importing it.  You learn the history of motor industry, Kenyan
technicians were taken to India, Zechoslovakia and South Africa to teach
them on motor assembly.

There are many projects that have come and gone because the good men that
Edmund Burke is referring to are doing nothining.  Indeed even those in
public offices wanting to do good for the country fear taking any risk
because there is no legal insurance.  Therefore, the public had a
responsibility to develop a common culture whose focus is to build rather
than condem and destroy.

Regards

Ndemo.

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.