[kictanet] MPesa - Whose brand is it? Safaricom or Vodafone?

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Wed Apr 9 14:28:39 EAT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Just saw this story on CNNMoney and started wondering whose product M-Pesa
is.I always thought M-Pesa was a local invention of the creative minds at
Safaricom but looks like Vodafone is claiming ownership of the brand. It
would probably be good to start documenting the origins of M-Pesa as I see
this brand across Africa.

Regards

Harry

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-24343341.htm

Vodafone's jv to launch mobile money transfer service in Tanzania

April 08, 2008: 08:40 AM EST

Apr. 8, 2008 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) --

- Vodafone (NYSE:VOD) Group Plc. said its joint-venture, Vodacom Group plans
to launch its M-Pesa mobile money transfer service to its 4.1 mln customers
in Tanzania at the end of the month.

Vodacom, which has operations in South Africa, Tanzania, Lesotho, Mozambique
and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, is a joint venture between
Vodafone and Telkom South Africa.

The launch of Vodafone M-PESA in Tanzania will see Vodafone's award-winning
mobile money transfer service available in a second African market.

African eDevelopment Resource Centre

3rd Floor, Nelleon Place

Raphta Road, Westlands

PO Box 49475 00100

Nairobi, Kenya

Cel +254 725 650044

Land +254 20 4453445

www.africanedevelopment.org <http://www.africanedevelopment.org/>

My Blogg <http://egov-notes.blogspot.com/>

April/May 2008 Training Opportunities

GIS 16-18 April

Records Management 28-30 April

Web Applications Security 28-30 April

Certified Fiber Optic Technician 6-9 May

e-Marketing 27-30 May

Book Now, Limited spaces available