[kictanet] Day 4 of 10:- eContent Requirements for Regulators

Bill Kagai mediacorp.research at mediacorp.co.ke
Mon Oct 15 13:38:32 EAT 2007

On 10/15/07, Brian Longwe <brian at isisweb.nl> wrote:

> I repeat  - we have a problem with corporate governance in our NSE.

That I agree chief....but to me, the challenge is deeper than that and
actually falls within the parameters of this discussion...Look at it this
way...

1. The regulator still insists on hard copy registration to open a CDSC
account. I agree this has value but there is no effort by the regulator in
digitising this procedure.

2. Pundits are estimating that may be 3-4 million new investors might be
attracted by Safaricom IPO with a significant number from what you might
call the base of the pyramid...meaning they do not have bank accounts. Will
these guys be forced to have bank accounts as a pre-requisite to
participation, getting paid their dividends etc...when the regulators are
completely silent on mobile money being heralded today by mobile phone
operators??

I think when discussing e-content expected from regulators, it should be
'all encompassing' and malleable enough to change to the new technology that
is being adopted and being embraced fully by the public. Its a whole new
world out there...waiting to be opened...

Bill