[kictanet] Breaking News- Teams Update

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 13:45:30 EAT 2007

Without wishing to interrupt the discussion on the
eRegulators, I thought it is good to know the new
anticipated operational date for the TEAMS cable: May 2009.

Yes, 2009 and NOT next year 2008.  I attended the TEAMS
public meeting at KCCT this morning and quite alot of info
was shared but since I am yet to get the slides, heres is
what I could remember offhead and so will stand corrected.

1. That the cable will be operational in 2009.
2. That the Govt will own 40%, Etillsat 15% and the rest is
free for grabs from other Interested stakeholders.
3. That unit investment is USD 5million for a gauranteed
capacity of Bandwidth.
4. That the deadline for investment is 30th Nov 2007.
5. That it will be operated by an 'Open' consortium under a
company called TEAMS ltd.
6. Consortium members will be free to sell off their shares
to new comers at prevailing market price.
7. Teams Ltd will be mandated to negotiate access fee for
people wishing to connect and transit fees for the upstream
providers in Fujiara.
7. That the objective is to deliver the initial Bandwidth
at USD 500 (five hundred) per 1Meg.

Maybe our local Regulator, CCK should take the initiative
to upload the slides presented on their website and we
shall still be talking about eRegulation ;-)

walu.