[kictanet] Starting Mon 8th Oct 2007-: 10day Online Discussion on " eCommunication Strategies for Regulatory Authorities"

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 11:31:01 EAT 2007

Maybe just to clarify some points, I will respond to some
of the questions and maybe the KICTAnet committee members
may wish to  add and then we can kick off the discussion
thereafter. My answers in << brackets >>

1. What motivated this discussion?
<<mmh. not sure. Probably some inspiration from KICATnet
members or member organisations?>>

2. What shall be the output, to whom, and for what
purpose?
<<I think Regulators in the Region (not just CCK) would be
interested though ofcourse not bound by the output. From
experience, it looks like non-binding issues tend to be
more adopted and implemented than those bounded (by law).>>

3. "Information Access" crosscutting; why pick one
agency?
<<<mmhh. not sure. But the topic is not really information
access. It is rather about how Regulators could use Web
resources to better serve their constituents.>>

4. Would not FOI legislation discussion encompass
e-gov services?

<<as given above. the discussion is not really about FOI or
Info Access per se and so question may not apply.>>

walu.

--- Alex Gakuru <alex.gakuru at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Walu,
>
> As you are aware, our consumer network is also
> scheduled to discuss internet access problems facing
> consumers from next week. This was occasioned by the
> realisation that government and business both claim to
> everything in our best interests only for us to
> realise we end up with increased tax baggage on one
> shoulder and heavy profit luggage on the other - each
> blaming the other for the problem and neither
> (honestly) engages consumers.  I am still ready to
> participate, but only if consumer value proposition is
> visibly clear.
>
> First, I am trying to understand whom we are doing
> this for? Did CCK ask for our help after they
> published their Service Charter at
> http://www.cck.go.ke/html/chatter.asp early this year?
> If so, does it suggest the charter promises are not
> being realised?
>
> 1. What motivated this discussion?
> 2. What shall be the output, to whom, and for what
> purpose?
> 3. "Information Access" crosscutting; why pick one
> agency?
> 4. Would not FOI legislation discussion encompass
> e-gov services?
>
> Freedom of Information guarantees every citizen access
> to ALL information also requiring every public body
> (ministries, state corporation, boards
any "person"

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/alex.gakuru%40yahoo.com