[kictanet] Starting Mon 8th Oct 2007-: 10day Online Discussion on " eCommunication Strategies for Regulatory Authorities"

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 10:15:37 EAT 2007

Walu,

As you are aware, our consumer network is also
scheduled to discuss internet access problems facing
consumers from next week. This was occasioned by the
realisation that government and business both claim to
everything in our best interests only for us to
realise we end up with increased tax baggage on one
shoulder and heavy profit luggage on the other - each
blaming the other for the problem and neither
(honestly) engages consumers.  I am still ready to
participate, but only if consumer value proposition is
visibly clear.

First, I am trying to understand whom we are doing
this for? Did CCK ask for our help after they
published their Service Charter at
http://www.cck.go.ke/html/chatter.asp early this year?
If so, does it suggest the charter promises are not
being realised?

1. What motivated this discussion?
2. What shall be the output, to whom, and for what
purpose?
3. "Information Access" crosscutting; why pick one
agency?
4. Would not FOI legislation discussion encompass
e-gov services?

Freedom of Information guarantees every citizen access
to ALL information also requiring every public body
(ministries, state corporation, boards
any "person"
with the colour of the law) to "proactively disclose"
public information held in trust.

Unless we adopt a holistic approach to access to
information, I fear we shall be lost in piecemeal
information access discussion (e.g. ECK, KRA,
“National Security”, et. al.)

Alex

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/alex.gakuru%40yahoo.com