[kictanet] Re : Any news from BPO confrence @ Safari Park, Nairobi, KE?

Kwach kwach at archway-productions.com
Fri Nov 30 16:08:23 EAT 2007

Hi Walu,

In my view the BPO conference was a great event and well attended by both
local and international business delegates, perhaps beyond the expectations
of the organizers. I am yet to secure copies of speeches by both the PS
(opening) and the Minister (closing) so can not comment about these two as I
missed both due to unavoidable circumstances. Still I heard delegates
praising Bitange Ndemo's opening speech. Nevertheless, I participated in
most of the presentations and debates for the too days. Congrats to Sean and
the team.

A few issues that I captured were;

O        Kenyans are ready to invest into the business, NOT enough info
requirements are readily available in the public domain. More public
awareness job for BPO Society and the Kenya ICT Board. A lady delegate from
UK expressed her concern that most people are asking for basic information.

O        It was clear from the international presenters that Kenya is
currently NOT in the global picture. Even to be a leading player in Africa
is going to be an uphill task. Take e.g. Ghana has over 3000 BPOs in place
compared to Kenya's about 16 BPOs. Both ICT Board and the BPO Society have a
lot of work ahead, without ignoring local opportunities.

O        A challenge to the Kenya by the international delegates is; there
is need to sell Africa first before selling as a country, then move to
individual companies. The likes of Kencall seem to have defied this order to
be where they are today.

O        What can Kenya achieve before Fibre Optic reaches Mombasa.

O        One advantage for sure over the rest of Africa and India is; our
girls and boys speak the Queens language better than the rest.

Remember these are only my personal observations as we wait for Sean's
briefing, guys want to hear more.

Regards,

Akich D. Kwach
Director - Research & Operations
ARCHWAY Technology
Mobile:+254 722 742155
Tel: +254 20 4778026
e-mail:  <mailto:kwach at archway-productions.com>
kwach at archway-productions.com
 <http://www.archway-productions.com> www.archway-productions.com

*** Market & Social Research for Development ***